Ah, even the best laid plans can run afoul of reality! Due to a lack of cash and the necessary tools, I had to make some major changes to my plans for being a unicorn. I love dressing up for Hallowe'en, and I love making costumes. I DON'T love being too poor to realize my vision! So I had to get creative.
Thankfully, I had some things in my closet that were very useful! It just so happens that many years ago, I was a 60s era Bond girl composed almost entirely of thrifted clothing. This sexy zippered stretch-cotton dress is the entire basis for my new unicorn outfit.
All it needed was a tail, so I attached a cheap hairpiece from Ardene to the bum.
I really, really wanted that horn from Metal Water Studio, but alas... Thankfully, I found a large wiggle-minnow lure at Dollarama to form the bare bones of my horn. Here is the horn coated in air dry clay, along with the smaller lure I didn't use. I had to add some more clay because it cracked upon drying.
Painting the horn was so much fun! I used DecoArt acrylics in light antique white, burnt umber, and country maple, mixed in various concentrations for use on various parts of the horn. For the finishing touch, I dry brushed it with a final coat of Delta Ceramcoat in metallic kim gold.
Ah, hooves... I couldn't get a hold of any wood working tools, so I didn't finish the shoes I started, nor did I make simple digitigrade hooves. I did, however, have a pair of hard rubber sandals that I never wear because the plastic uppers hurt my feet.
The first thing I needed to do was remove and copy the uppers onto leather. I made the uppers longer so they can go over the toes.
Step two was to paint the sandals white.
After attaching the new uppers with upholstery tacks and trimming the leather, I painted them to look hoof-like. I was inspired by the painting section of the "Making costume hooves, fit for a faun" tutorial. I used the same paints as the horn, including the dry-brushed gold.
Updates later tonight to show off the complete costume plus makeup!