August 20, 2009

Not so FAIL! How I saved some stuff, and things that turned out :D

Let me introduce you to "Mo" the mohawked teddy bear:
.
mo the bear 1mo the bear 2
.
I saved his little nubby mohawk by picking it apart with a darning needle, then stitched on dark blue sparkle buttons for his little eyes, embroidered his little nose, and cut a piece off the felting-disaster of the mohawk hat for his cute little tail. My brother was in absolute awe to recieve his un-birthday gift! He was especially fond of the little Xs in his eyes and laughed at his little nub of a tail, and promptly dubbed him Mo. Mikey will be getting the new-and-improved mohawk hat for Christmas so he can match Mo.


The other unbirthday presents were Mom's 8 foot purple wool/acrylic/mohair/whatever scarf that I posted quite awhile ago, which of course blew her away, and a crocheted balaclava for dad that I somehow managed to not take pictures of. I wasn't happy with the patterns I found online, so I ended up making it up as I went. It is a bit snug to shove over his head because of the neck area, but once it's on, it fits PERFECT! Hehe, when I called him up a couple weeks ago and asked him to take some measurements of his head he was a bit confuzzled but went and took them whilst I was on "hold." I'll see if I can get pix of it soon.
.
On the sewing front, I haven't been idle! Just haven't gotten the photos onto my computer, which I'll hopefully do later today.
.
I butchered a Kirkland Lake Northern College shirt by tearing off the neckline and sleeves, taking in the sides, and doing that cool weaving thing on the lower back. I got it free from a friend who can't even remember how he ended up with 3 men's smalls (which fit NO ONE in his family :P), so when I saw them sitting on his cabinet I was like, coooooool, a woofie! The KLNC emblem is a wolf (actually I think Northern College in general uses the wolf), and despite the horrid cheapness of the print (bloody iron-ons), I saw the potential right away! I only took one off him, though. I didn't want to seem greedy :P
.
KL slashed 1KL slashed 2
.
I also tore into my "Gimme My Timmies" shirt and turned it into a very cute little top that sadly looks a bit like a cheerleader outfit! The shirt is brown and I took apart a beige longsleeve top that is the same colour as the printing for the waistband and the second ruffle, the first ruffle being more of the brown shirt. I'm not happy with the neckline because I had to seriously fudge this pleated... THING... into some semblance of a collar due to lack of fabric. Not sure exactly what I'm going to do about it yet, but at least the OVERALL effect is very cute. Todd, who is actually becoming more interested in my crafting adventures, was slightly disappointed that I didn't do the weaving thing, because he thinks the KLNC shirt is bloody hawt. Now every time I wear a tight shirt he says "you should do that slitted woven thing to this shirt," LOL!
.
timmies top 2timmies top 3
.
After that, I did something I had planned way back in February! I had been wandering around St. Vinnie's in Timmins and found myself in the crafting section (like usual), and though I don't usually find much (omg it's so hard to look through 4 boxes of patterns), I came across a poly-cotton knit that was AWESOME!!! It's definitely old-school ugly :D I don't know if it's 50s or 60s because it has an ugly floral print on beige in brown, mustard, burnt orange, burgundy, and sage, (sooo typical of 50s living rooms, hahaha!) but it's a knit and I don't know when knits became popular for CLOTHING and not just stockings. So anyways, there seemed to be a meter of it or perhaps a smidge more, so I snatched it up and went looking through the longsleeve shirts, because I IMMEDIATELY knew I wanted it for the skirt of a dress! I found a burgundy top and a burnt orange top with which to work my evil :D Since then I have done much fashion sketching, and TWICE I have sketched what I wanted to do with that stuff. Well I FINALLY did it! It's a little off, in that the skirt turned out a smidge narrow (arg my butt is too wide, hurrah for pear-ness), but overall I LOVE it! I think I'll go back and see what I can do to widen the skirt, like making it a four-panel skirt as I do have a little of the floral fabric left over. Anyways, I gave the burgundy top an inset ruffled bib and open turtle neck out of floral fabric, and the turtle neck has a tie thingie that is super adorable :D The only thing I used the burnt orange shirt for so far is the waistband, and I don't know if I'll go any further with it. In actual fact, I may take the waistband out, cuz I'm not sure I like it.
.
autumn floral 1autumn floral 2
.
Right now on my table is most of a shirt. You'd think I woulda figured out how to do bibs, but seriously, this one is HARDER than the first one! The fabrics are chocolate brown cotton lycra for the body and fuschia cotton lycra for accents, so they're very slick and slippery. I did finally get the bib in and it looks... ok... Not professional quality, but not OH DEAR GOD I should rip it out. It's getting puffed short sleeves (gathered this time, not pleated like the green polka dots shirt), and I'm debating putting a fuschia band around each sleeve, but definitely the collar will be fuschia.
.
I just finished a hat for Mumsie, out of purplish variegated acrylic I got super cheap at WalMarx. Bought two balls, only needed one (but hey, they came in a package together). I learned double crochet (treble crochet to the Brits) for the lower edge and it looks really good :D This is her Christmas gift. I have quite a few people to make stuff for, so I'm getting a head start. It just needs the enormous pompom I have yet to make and c'est fini. I've got this fabulously soft yarn for Dad's gift, and I wanted to make him a Euro scarf (super long and somewhat skinny) but, because I have 6 effing balls of it, I may make him a little sweater vest lined in flannel. He doesn't often wear scarves, and now that he has a new balaclava, I'm not sure he'd even need one.
.
purple acrylic hat
.
What's next? Arg, I guess I'll do that mending I got shanghaid into, and then perhaps finish my fabulous mystery skirt that is STILL half-done in my storage box. Next post, I'll discuss what I got from Fabricland's awesome moving sale (although I want to go back for more! ACK!).
.

No comments:

Post a Comment